- Recruitment of high quality scientific and research support staff, with excellent generic skills and the capacity to learn new skills on the job.
- Training and capacity building for all Unit staff.
- The application of a wide range of learning and development opportunities tailored to the individual, but set within a series of Unit-wide initiatives.
- Monitoring the training needs for staff through an annual review process as part of our learning and development strategy.
- Developing capacity externally as well as internally.
- Capitalising on partnerships with networks and stakeholders.
- Evaluating recruitment, training and development to ensure value for money.
Postgraduate training in the LEU has three main elements: a PhD programme (integrated with the postgraduate training strategy of the University of Southampton); a clinical training programme (in close collaboration with Southampton University Hospitals NHS Trust, the NIHR Biomedical Research Units in Nutrition and Musculoskeletal Science, and the University of Southampton School of Medicine); and the short course on ‘Epidemiology for Clinicians’.